KAIRA observes continuously, 24-hours a day and all-year-round. The default observation mode is handled by KBT (KAIRA Background Task), unless a special experiment or campaign is scheduled.
Applying for time or dataWith a few restrictions, it is possible to apply for time on the KAIRA facility or request KAIRA data from other programmes. Any scientists wishing to do so should contact the KAIRA Observer-in-Charge. Currently all projects making non-trivial use of KAIRA data are required to have an SGO staff member as co-author on published papers unless agreed otherwise.
SupportKAIRA staff are able to provide limited support for observations. Please arrange this with plenty of time to ensure that the appropriate arrangements can be made. Please note that KAIRA staff are unable to provide support for the EISCAT facilities.
Data archiveData is typically only kept on the system for up-to-six moths. Scientists are responsible for their own data recovery and archiving. For details on this, or about additional storage options, please contact the KAIRA Observer-in-Charge before commencing observations.
AcknowledgementAny publication or presentation which make non-trivial use of KAIRA data must also include the following acknowledgement:
KAIRA was funded by the University of Oulu and the FP7 European Regional Development Fund and is operated by Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory.
Archive of observation campaigns from the commissioning phase:
- Sep 2012 : Scintillation campaign (ASTRON/SGO)
- Dec 2012 : EISCAT campaign (Oulu/SGO)
- 26-Mar-2013 : VLBI campaign (MPIfR/SGO)
- 26-May to 05-Jun 2013 : Scintillation campaign (ASTRON/SGO)
- 06-Jun-2013 : Official Opening Ceremony
- 25-Jul-2013 to 30-Jul-2013 : PMSE campaign (UiT/Lancaster/SGO)
- 09-Oct-2013 to 16-Nov-2013 : Targeted riometry (U. Southampton/SGO)
- 29-Oct-2013 to 31-Oct-2013 : Heating/scintillation (UiT/RIAN/SGO)
- 25-Nov-2013 to 29-Nov-2013: Support Finnish EISCAT experiments (U. Oulu/SGO)
- 10-Dec-2013 to 10-Mar-2014: SFIR campaign (SGO)
- 07-Jan-2014 to 09-Jan-2014: Scintillation campaign (ASTRON/SGO)
- 20-Jan-2014 to 22-Jan-2014: Global VLBI (GMRT/LOFAR/MPIfR/SGO)
- 04-Feb-2014 to 06-Feb-2014: Radio emission campaign (Penn State/MIT/SGO) [cancelled due to aircon failure]
- 04-Mar-2014 to 06-Mar-20: Heating experiment 1200-1400 UTC (UiT/RIAN/SGO)
- 07-Mar-2014 to 09-Mar-2014: Radio emission campaign (Penn State/MIT/SGO)
- 05-Apr-2014 to 08-Apr-2014: Radio emission campaign (Penn State/MIT/SGO)
- 23-Apr-2014 to 25-Apr-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 29-Apr-2014 to 30-Apr-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 06-May-2014 : KAIRA control system upgrade (ASTRON)
- 07-May-2014 to 08-May-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 08-May-2014 to 09-May-2014 : TomoScand + Quadriphase-coded experiments (U. Oulu/SGO)
- 13-May-2014 to 15-May-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 19-May-2014 to 23-May-2014 : Site maintenance work (Tech.Unit)
- 20-May-2014 to 22-May-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO), secondary
- 20-May-2014 to 23-May-2014 : Calibration, modes 7,5,3 -- overnight
- 23-May-2014 to 25-May-2014 : Solar observing (TDC/SGO )
- 27-May-2014 to 28-May-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 03-Jun-2014 to 05-Jun-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 08-Jun-2014 to 11-Jun-2014 : TomoScand + GUSPS (SGO)
- 10-Jun-2014 to 12-Jun-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO)
- 16-Jun-2014 to 19-Jun-2014 : Major site repair work (all)
- 17-Jun-2014 to 19-Jun-2014 : Solar observing (Aalto/SGO), secondary
- 26-Aug-2014 to 29-Aug-2014 : Site maintenance
- 15-Feb-2015 to 20-Feb-2015 : FPI / EISCAT-VHF support (SGO/UCL)