Wednesday 28 May 2014


KAIRA has been offline for the last couple of days. We had a set of outages over the weekend that had left the station without RF signal. Power-cycling and resets had recovered the computer system, but the digital signal processing electronics remained down and we were only getting zeroes from the channels. In short, we needed to switch off until we could get this sorted.

With volunteer, hour-of-hours help from some of the ASTRON engineers, we've managed to get the system back up and running again. Turns out there were some problems with the rubidium clock but this has now been resolved.

However, during the process we discovered there was an incorrect calibration file. Apparently, the software install on 9th May activated a wrong attenuation.conf file. As KAIRA has a different cable setup than other stations this needs to be specially installed. Unfortunately, this was overloooked and we have been running with an incorrect file for the past couple of weeks. Thus, data, between 09-27-May-2014 may have problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.